The former Palm House from 1863 is located in the symmetrically laid out Botanical Garden in Cologne. Originally built in the form of a glass palace, the Flora was destroyed during the war and subsequently rebuilt several times.
The listed building has undergone a general renovation and the original structure is being restored. The roof barrel was rebuilt with a new supporting structure. The refurbishment measures restore the original charm of the restaurant, taking into account the concerns of the listed building, and adapt the building to current usage requirements.
The heterogeneous annexes were demolished and replaced by a new glazed extension that contains the necessary ancillary rooms and the upper floor hall areas. It clearly appears in a contemporary architectural language next to the listed building fabric.
The main entrance is now accessed at ground level from the car park and is thus located at the base level of the building. A separable foyer in the new extension complements the historic hall on the ground floor. Further event rooms are located on the upper floor of the extension and on the ground floor. Thus, an attractive domed hall was created under the newly constructed barrel roof. A large production kitchen is located in the basement of the extension, which is connected to ward kitchens next to the halls.
The entire building is, of course, barrier-free and meets the current fire protection and sound insulation requirements. The corner towers were converted into staircases, and centrally located panoramic lifts connect the floors. The terraces adjacent to the building were redesigned and prepared for gastronomic use.