Users: RTL Television and Talanx
The Rheinhallen in Cologne were built in 1924 on the initiative of the then Lord Mayor Konrad Adenauer on the right bank of the Rhine in Deutz, with a direct line of sight to Cologne Cathedral.
Due to several extensions, an inconsistent image was created within a short period of time. On the occasion of the International Press Exhibition (Pressa) in 1928, the heterogeneous exhibition halls were therefore combined into an overall complex by means of a perimeter building with a uniform brick façade.
In 2005, the halls, which had been used as exhibition grounds until then and had been taken over by Koelnmesse on a hereditary lease, were returned to the City of Cologne.
Since the decision of the future main tenant RTL in favour of this location, the listed ensemble of buildings, consisting of the expressionist brick façade, the trade fair tower located on the north-west side and the cour d'honneur, has been completely reconstructed and renovated. While preserving the architectural and urban context, an ultra-modern administrative complex with an integrated broadcasting centre for the two main users RTL and the Talanx insurance group is being built behind the listed façade.
For this purpose, the original halls were demolished and replaced by two comb-like, 4-storey structures that match the height of the existing façade. The height of the building rises to 6 storeys towards the access hall in the middle of the two structures. With a length of 200 metres, the hall forms the connection between the Ehrenhof and the Tanzbrunnen and, due to its innovative roofing with a foil cushion construction, can also be used as a flexible space for special events.
On its north-east side, the ensemble is extended by the new 7-storey multi-storey car park. It offers space for around 2,000 cars and is connected to the Rheinhalle via a bridge.